HISTORY OF OUR CLUB
Armidale North Rotary Club was chartered on 10th June 1971, sponsored by the Rotary club of Armidale. The club was formed with twenty-six charter members. By the end of April 1992 membership had grown to 59. Over the years the Rotary Club of Armidale North has demonstrated a very strong club structure with good participation and fellowship.
The Rotary Club of Armidale North Inc. is like all Rotary clubs in the world. We are a group of local business and professional people who meet regularly for fellowship and assist the local and wider communities with projects through fundraising, providing physical assistance and other means of support. Our club is part of a world wide organisation of over 1.2 million members
THE ROTARY FOUNDATION
This is the International body that each year provides some $90million for international scholarships, cultural exchanges, and humanitarian projects large and small, which improves the quality of life and health for millions of people around the world. These include the Polio Plus programs and others – clean water malaria eradication, literacy programs and much more.
Armidale North Rotary Club have provided many hours of Community Service including –
* Bus shelter at Duval High School, Armidale High School and Newling Public School.
* Constructed brick wall, picnic area, grotto and prepared an area for tree planting at the Arboretum
* Concrete ramps and pathways and erected doors in corridor at Autumn Lodge.
* Built a 3 bedroom home in Armidale. Proceeds from the sale of the home were donated to Ningana.
* Raised funds towards the purchase of the Breast Screening Unit Bus.
* Manning of Rugby gates during Rugby Union season.
* Provision of a vehicle for St.John’s Ambulance
* Barbeques for Armidale Breakfast with the Band
* Quilt Raffle for a charity of choice each year in conjunction with QPNE Inc
The club is involved with many youth programs.
* Youth Exchange students,
* Rotary Youth Leadership Awards,
* Public Speaking,
* National Youth Science Forum
* Rotary Youth in Agriculture programs.
* Responsible Serving of Alcohol program to schools
Armidale North Rotary Club has hosted many overseas Rotarians with the Friendship Exchange program.
The club has sponsored many Group Study Exchange Team leaders and members, as well as hosting Ambassadorial Scholars..
Many club members have attended Rotary International Conventions.
Members have been volunteers on Rotary Australia World Community Service.
With each avenue of service it is important that we should not overlook the fact that it is through our vocation that we are invited to join Rotary. We are the representatives of our field of business to other members of the Rotary Club.
Over the years Armidale North Rotary Club has participated in many vocational service activities. These include Careers Market, Vocational meetings, Vocational speakers and Pride in Workmanship Awards.